Suffolk Chronicle 27th January 1877
Many people were awoke from their sleep on Thursday night by the continuous sounding for a long time of the steam horn at Bramford manure works, the cause of the unusual roaring being a fire which had broken out there.  The fire was fortunately, not in the main buildings of the works, but in the shed built over the dock by the side of the Gipping, in which barges of the firm are loaded, which was entirely destroyed, the fire, however, being confined to it.
This shed, which was 130 feet long, by 40 feet wide, was built principally of timber, and, of course, formed an easy prey to the flames when they had once got hold.
The fire was discovered about a quarter of an hour after midnight, when the men were away for their midnight meal, and it is thought to have originated from carelessness on the part of the workmen employed in the shed, who, contrary to orders, are supposed to have had a fire burning in the shed, and to have left it burning when they left at half past eleven for their meal.
Some sparks from this fire may have thus set fire to the building, but once alight, it may easily be imagined that the fire spread rapidly.
On its being discovered, the steam horn was sounded, plenty of men soon gathered, the fire engine belonging to the works was wheeled down and set to work, and hose was attached to various hydrants which are supplied from large tanks in the upper part of the works.
Being thus energetically taken in hand, the flames, which burnt fiercely, a strong wind blowing from the North West, were in the course of an hour stayed in their progress, and by soon after four o’clock the fire was virtually out, though the embers were played upon till daylight.
The shed was entirely destroyed, and the strong wind blowing directly towards the works caused some fears for them, but the iron casing round the acid chambers saved the timber from ignition.
Besides the shed, about 20 of the small trucks which are used on the tramways in the works which were standing in and near the shed were burnt, but there was no stock destroyed, as the shed is simply used for loading and unloading, and no stock was kept there.
Though the “bull” was heard in Ipswich, and Mr H. W. Packard went down to the fire, the fire engine from Ipswich did not attend, a telegram being sent after the works engine had been for some time in operation, stating that there was no necessity for them to come.
The fire engine belonging to the Great Eastern Railway at Ipswich was sent down but its services were not required.
The estimated amount of damage done is £300.”
(Note:  The factory siren or “bull” as it was known was a feature of village life into the 1950’s and 60’s at least.  The lunchtime, or 1 o’clock, “bull” particularly being remembered.)