The station was opened in 1846 as part of the Ipswich to Bury Railway (IBR).
The private official opening ceremony of the railway was held on the 7th December 1846 with an inaugural train setting off from Ipswich:
“Every arrangement, on the most liberal scale, was made for the comfort of the passengers, consisting of from 300 to 400 people. A noble train was soon in readiness, consisting of two engines, an open truck, and seventeen first class, and two second class carriages. The engines were decorated with green and red-and-white flags, as was also the truck, which was appropriated by Humfress’ excellent brass band. The huge train being shunted on to the Bury Line started at 13m to 1 o’clock, the band playing “See the Conquering Hero Comes” amidst the cheers of the passengers and spectators.” (Extract from the Ipswich Journal 12th December 1846)
The train set off for Bury St Edmunds, via Bramford, Blakenham, Needham Market, Stowmarket, Haughley, Elmswell and Thurston. It arrived at Bury St Edmunds at 25 minutes past 2pm – the whole journey included stops at Needham Market, Stowmarket and Elmswell. Thousands of people turned out to watch the progress of the train along the route and at the planned stops.
The line opened to the public on the 24th December 1846.
The IBR shortly became part of the Eastern Union Railway (to which it was allied).
The chalk pit on Paper Mill Lane was owned by the railways, no doubt to provide lime mortar for the construction and maintenance of the rail infrastructure. The branch line created into the lime works is thought to have influenced the location of Edward Packard’s fertilizer factory which used it to transport raw materials and products to and from the site.
Advert from the Chelmsford Chronicle:
On the 1st of August 1911 a fire destroyed much of the station
Framlingham Weekly News 5th August 1911
This picture shows the aftermath of the fire – the Station Alley Cottages are on the right. The platform and ticket office were completely destroyed.
The cottages were so badly damaged that they were demolished, and the families rehoused elsewhere in the village.
A new station was built on the opposite side of the road and completed in 1913.
(East Anglian Daily Times 20th February 1913)
These pictures show the entrance to the station (left – just before demolition in 1965) and today (right).
A general view of the ‘new’ station in 1963 taken from Ship Lane from where Keeble’s Car Sales are now.
It was finally closed in 1955…
…and demolished in 1965:
Demolition pictures kindly provided by Bramford resident, David Chappell.
The signal box at Bramford Station c1930
The signalmen are William Cobb (bottom of steps) and Jack Knights.
Excellent article, well done!